Saturday, May 22, 2010

Our new arrival

We are very excited to announce the arrival of Rachel McAllister! She was born on April 24th, 2010(just 12 days "late") and weighted 7lbs 8 ounces and 21" long.

Rachel had a true knot in her cord. Thankfully(as we learned is usually the case) she was okay.
She was born in the water. A wonderful option!
Look at all of that vernix she had. My midwife mentioned that my babies tend to look about two weeks early(by exam).

After she was born I spent at least an hour holding and nursing our beautiful new addition. We began to notice that she had lighter hair than our 3 other children. Then it was time to weigh her. This is the way our midwives weigh babies.

Here is Rachel being examined. What a pretty baby!
Family started coming. Big brother Sam was sooo excited!

Happy Birthday Rachel! Welcome to our family!!

4 comments:

Kailey said...

Congrats Venisa! I had been waiting to hear the good news. I am glad everything went smoothly! I wanted to try a water birth, but the water slowed down my contractions and I didn't want it bad enough to suffer longer. lol.

Megan said...

So precious.

Unknown said...

How neat! I also really like the wall painting that says "Rachel" and has Pooh characters. So cute!

Teresa said...

I know I'm slightly late with this, but congratulations!!!! She's a doll...and I think it's time to post updated photos:-). It sounds like a beautiful birth. Did you post the length of labor/pushing? I'll have to go read again to see.

Emma was a waterbirth. I think it really helps the pain when baby is coming out,as well as some with the labor.

Congratulations again! Oh, and glad baby was okay with knot in the cord. It seems like that tends to me the case (which makes me curious what it was about Rhys' knot that made the dr think it would have caused problem...though maybe she's just being a doctor and nothing bad really would have happened! I'm still going to ask next time I see her).